Friday, July 3, 2009

Debate 09

Ok, sorry for the late updates. I was down with a massive headache, so bad you all thought I fainted in the school canteen. Haha, anyway, for the past few days, I've been sleeping quite early. Early as in 2 a.m to 2 :30 a.m. Yeah, that explains why pimples have been staying at my face.

Oh yeah, my diet for the past few days consist of fried food and vegetarian dinner. Way to go Daniel.....

Ok, Tuesday I checked whether was I selected for 'death camp'. Yes I was. So early in the morning on Wednesday, the school debate team meet up in the canteen. Matthew Joshua went and check, he kena National Service. Amirul also kena, Man Li also kena. Hamreesh, definitely kena.

So Amirul's mum fetched some of us to the debate finals venue. We're going against Jalan Convent Peel, a well established school. So here's some pics....


Me and Sang sitting outside the meeting room.

So the whole debate team, 11 of us were in the room, aircond and fan turned on and brainstormed a few ideas and points. Some didn't even contributed, I don't wanna post names here. Seriously, sitting there relaxing and seeing your team mates going through massive mess and trying to sort things out, that ain't helping at all.

And maybe most of you all tag along just to skip class? I don't know, its just an assumption ok?

Thank God for Cik Adlina's laptop and Internet connection, or else we'll be stuck with nothing. Our headmistress and Pn. Sasikala joined to give some support.

So it was time for Darsh, Mai and Angeline to be quarantined for an hour. Meanwhile, the rest went in to the debate hall and sit.


Sang listening to his iPod Touch, me with my Nokia.

The motion for the debate finals was "Society does not reap from sports investment". Angeline was picked for the pot draw, and we got the government side. Whee!!!

The debate was really ours to kill. Because what Jalan Convent Peel presented points was just about sports advantages to society, not sports investment. Damn it, we should have P.O.I-ed them when they presented the 'job opportunities' point.

Really, I think even the judges were quite bias. In the end, we lost. Even one of the judges, Mr. Sugu said this...

"Opposition, your 3rd speaker saved you all today. If it wasn't for her, you would have lost."

Damn right.....even though you 3 speak perfect English, your points were out of topic. Maybe the judges don't wanna let a 5 year old school defeat one of the most well established schools in K.L.

But anyway, coming 2nd place in a Zon Pudu final is really a proud achievement for us. All of us never expect to come this far.

So, after the debate, we all went back to school. Amirul's mum took the trouble to come and fetch us back again. Thank you so much Amirul!!! Amirul couldn't join us because he was kinda tired. I mean, he has been contributing alot of facts for us. Heck, I can even say without his help, we wouldn't even make it past the first round. This shows how much value he is to our team. A great researcher and a great thinker. Went back to school, placed the trophy in headmistress office. Mum fetched me, Kyle, Matthew and Daniel Fariq to invade Tesco Extra to celebrate our 2nd place in Zon Pudu. Cik. Adlina fetched Vivian, Darsh, Serene, Angeline and Mai Sabrina. Hamreesh had to fetch fatty (guess who?)

Tesco wasn't prepared for the invasion of SMK Seri Mutiara's Debate Team. Let me do a review on all the debate members....


Meet Mai Sabrina, the no-nonsense yet sassy second speaker. Damn, her English has improved so much. 3 years in English debating, and that's what you get. : ) Best part about watching her debate, you have to hear the last assault sentence towards opponents. So ice-cold.


Me, Mai and Hamreesh.

I had chicken chop with mushroom sauce and for drinks, orange juice. Like it wasn't enough, I treated Santosh and Mai with deserts. ABC and cendol.


Vivian makan ABC.


Meet the blur, innocent looking researcher of the school's debate team, Hamreesh a.k.a Hammy/ Hamster. Thanks Hammy for buying back McDonald's for us, and coming back soaking wet from the rain. Oh yeah, thanks for buying the whole team KFC and Domino's Pizza, even though I missed it for band practice. Hammy, I know this sounds odd but I love you.....NOT. Haha, chill lah. Will belanja you ice-cream.


Mai again.


Matthew, thanks for your contributions. I don't remember it, but I'm sure you did contribute right?


Me, Daniel, slept halfway in the middle of a Skype chat for the first time. Had keyboard key marks on the face on the next day. Mum shocked, dad laughed his ass off. Hey dad, you nearly choked on a banana because of me. xD Ok, I know reviewing myself really feels weird, but here's the thing.

I'm sorry if I wasn't able to be commited as Darsh, Angeline or Amirul because I know my limits. I really wished I could have stayed up until 5 a.m just to find points and help you guys elaborate it. I did my best, and I hope my effort left an impact to the team.


Santosh, he's the one you can argue for the whole day. Trust me, he won't mind accepting all of your P.O.Is at all. He also has been contributing alot for the team, and also giving out ideas and points that sometimes saved our asses.


Santosh, Angeline and Kyle.

Angeline, I'm kinda impressed that you can managed to stay up until 5 a.m, sleep for an hour and come to school to prepare for debate. You are one of the 3 people I know that is so commited to the team. I know you have been sick for us, but all I can say is a big THANK YOU for really helping us making it to the finals.


Serene and Matthew. Serene, thanks for the massage.


Vivian and Darshini. Oh Darsh, what would the debate team do without you? Fast thinking is your middle name. We are really really really thankful that you are in the school debate team. Thank God for you girl!!!! You, like Angeline, stayed up late, went through alot of mess to find points and elaborate them for us. You're a great aset for the team.

Daniel Fariq, don't take it that all of us didn't notice your contributions. You too were commited. You stayed back and tried to help us at all cost, and we really thank you for that. Vivian, I didn't forget you.

Miriam...why didn't you come on Wednesday. We need your brain lah!!! We all love the fact that you can twist our facts and points and make it your advantage. Pure evil!!! Anyway, headmistress noticed your contributions too. Hah, you'll be the next Darshini for sure.

Last but not least, our dear debate teacher, our guide, Cik. Adlina. She also stayed up late, Skype-ed us, discussed with us, cooked food for us, had fun with us. On behalf of the debate team, I would like to say sorry if we had cross the line and didn't follow your strategies of debating, was constantly off-track, wasn't fully focused on the motion, rather than other useless topics. You really are a dedicated english teacher, God bless you Cik. Adlina.

Cik. Adlina, please help me thank your brother for taking the trouble and losing his precious sleep time to help us out for the finals.

Mr. Govinder, thanks for giving us advice. Without it, we're lost.

Pn. Sasikala, thanks for giving us points and elaborations on the motion, "SMS retards reading skills"

Headmistress Pn. Halimah, thanks for supporting us, allowing us to skip classes just to practice debate. Sorry we came back with a 2nd place, but at least we promised you that we'll bring back a trophy. :)


Santosh, me and Mai.

Then it was group picture time.

I know, I'm blur.


When time for superhero pose, I was like...."What the heck man?"


P.O.I pose, I was so malu-fied lah. Can you imagine the people staring at us like one kind.

"Mong meh mong, never see people P.O.I before ah?!"


Mata sakit.

Sigh, last year for me in debate. Even though I was not able to go debate, but I am proud to be a back up researcher and help out by giving points.

Oh yeah, last picture.

Don't ask me why. :P

1 comment:

Darsh said...

Aww...Dan, I'm so freaking touched =]
This post was really..really..something.. And yeah, its true, thanks to everyone. We made it this far cuz of everyone's contribution. And cik Adlina, def a one of a kind teacher.

And Dan, you did help. A lot. =D

SMK Seri Mutiara debate team rocks!! =D