Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Dad

Father's Day might be over, but I would like to take this time to share with you about my dad, like most of my fellow bloggers (Kamumalu, Wan Zhuin, Alamanda.......).

My dad comes from a poor family, eating porridge with soy sauce only for lunch and rice with few pieces of meat and veges only. Being the eldest in the family, I bet he had lots of big responsibilities when he was at my age. I guess his teenage life is tougher than me.

His highest education was until Form 5, and off he goes to work at K.L in a hotel. I'm not sure about which hotel he worked for, but the one I really remembered is Regent Hotel, Bukit Bintang. The best thing about dad working as a executive sous chef (I didn't spell sous chef wrongly, it's not sauce chef mind you), that everytime mum and I went over to see dad, we'll get free lunch from the hotel. I remember one time, dad's boss even gave dad and us a free 1 day stay at the hotel, everything free of charge.

I can still remember one time when I was small, dad brought back a ginger bread house made out of biscuits and icing for us to build the ginger bread house. While waiting for dad to come home on Christmas Eve, mum and I would build the cute ginger bread house.

I remember when I was 4, I accidently said the F-Word infront of my relatives during a family dinner. It was not a good idea by the way. I learned it from Die Hard, stupid-main-character-which-I-don't-know -what's-his-name. Dad wasn't around at that time because he had work. So once mum and I got back from the event, dad was kinda disappointed at me, didn't say anything at all.

I can say that dad is the main source for providing food, shelter and care for the family. Over the years I and dad had lots of arguments, and it really makes me and my dad's relationship worsen, until Form 3, things got much better.

Dad hasn't been going to church for a long time when I was small. Until 2006, with his new job after retiring from Regent Hotel after 15 years serving for them, dad got the opportunity to go to church. Now, he's an active member, and I wanna thank God for that.

Dad hasn't had much patience in him. While using the PC, sometimes it hangs, and dad will be quite pissed (especially in the middle of saving a recipe). Dad also doesn't believe in punctuality. People invite us to be at a certain venue at 9 p.m,we only go out of the house at 9 p.m. That's why mum ask me to not be like that, cuz it gives other people bad impressions.

One thing my dad loves is morning and evening walks. So I expect my weekends breakfast to be quite late, and my mum expects dinner for her and dad to be late too. : )
Growing up in the 50's, my dad prefers Chinese oldies compared to Frank Sinatra and Amy Winehouse. One thing for sure, my dad doesn't like Hillsong United or Planet Shakers, don't know why.

My dad didn't even teach me how to drink alcohol like most of yours would, but I remember one thing that he told me I wouldn't forget about alcohol...

"Wine is like women, sometimes sweet, sometimes bitter. So choose wisely your future wine-to-be lah boy...."

Usually I don't like to eat fruits, but after the constant nagging and lecturing about apples, bananas, pears, honeydews and longans, I finally appreciate the fruits values and it makes out body much more healthier.

Dad would bug me to eat fish oil tablets, Vitamins, Spirulinas because I have quite a weak body. Can't blame me.

Even though my dad's education is until Form 5, but his Chinese knowledge is so good, he'll beat you in Chinese proverbs and essay writing. Cool huh?

My dad's so good at cooking (well duh...ask Kyle or Gan Yang), he can open a restaurant and it'll be full house. My dad doesn't want to because Cheras area is full of restaurants which 70% of them are empty and chances of them surviving are slim as paper. He don't wanna be part of that statistics.

My dad wouldn't buy me anything that I wanted, because he would ask me to come out my own money or maybe it is unreasonable to get it for me (like the PS3).

My dad plays sports like badminton and last time, basketball (school player). I rememeber one time I lost to him in badminton so badly, he kept on teasing me from the badminton court til' when we reach our house. Darn dad darn!!!

My dad doesn't speed, so I don't expect some thrilling fun on the highways.

My dad might not have the financial status like Bill Gates, but what I'm happy is that he is able to provide for the family.

My dad might not appear on Tv or magazines.....wait, he did appear in Tv and magazines. 8TV, Food and Cuisine, e.t.c. Eleh.....cekap kan? What about your dad?

On Father's Day, I treat him dinner at Boston's Grill. It sucked so bad, he told me next time he's deciding on what's for the next Father's Day dinner. Sorry dad....

My dad might not be perfect, but he is the best.

Thank You dad for loving me and mum.

No comments: